Monday, June 3, 2013

Ranch Women

Today I watched a really great, short documentary on women of all ages who work and live on ranches (one woman owns a family ranch, another woman is the year-round ranch foreman, and the last "women" profiled are two little girls that work with their parents on the family ranch). It is a fascinating (29 minute) look at women who've always known that this was the work they loved and the life they wanted, no matter how difficult it can be. 
Women have historically been cut out of the cowhand work, with some exceptions. It seems, however, that there is no such exclusion today. The girl interested in ranch work can go out and do it... 

I have always considered myself a city girl, born along the Rust Belt in Milwaukee, a city that grew thanks to the industrial and manufacturing boom (and beer, of course). Since moving to Colorado, I have clung to deep longing for the city-- for vast human diversity in a densely populated urban center, complete with trips to the theater, the opera, the comedy club, the jazz club, the street festival, or the corner bar. 

But very recently I've realized that I was happy in Milwaukee because I accepted what it offered as all good things. If I wanted to do that here, I would need to find the good things. And it just so happens that the good things here are the lack of city. The enormous sky, the tall grass, the mud, the horses, the cattle dappling the foothills, the hidden towns, open air...

So I drove around today and took pictures of these good Colorado things... I took all of these photos in places that were no more than 10 minutes away from my apartment.... 
A girl could get used to this.
Grazing
Oh, hello

Leather boots, tall grass
The roads we travel

Enjoying the view
Western art
Horse ghost
In Eldorado Springs...
Prepared to enjoy all 4 seasons
From a tucked-away town

Old shed








"Neigh!"

"Did you bring the snacks?" 



<sniff>


So I guess the moral of this story is that the place I live is beautiful and I want to take it into my heart. I am looking into horseback riding lessons at a local farm here and will keep you updated on my progress!

***
Do you know any ranch women? Are you a ranch woman? Tell me the tales of your open skies! ...and as always, keep rustling!

3 comments:

  1. Horse riding vacations can be one of the most adventurous trips you can have. Explore the nature on the horseback is very appealing for many people.

    Horseback Riding Bryce Canyon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't belive I didn't know about your blog!! Taiko, I come from a family or "rancheros". I've heard that no one handles a horse as beautifully as my mother did. My grandfather had 10 kids, the oldest was deaf and mute, so the second in line became his right hand-woman. The church, cemetery, fields-crops, cattle, and school were all owned by my grandfather. Because of my mom's unusual role, she was the first woman in her "town" to wear pants! To this day my grandmother-who now runs it all-has never worn pants in her life. I spent most of my childhood summers there and as beautiful and relaxing as it is, it's a whole new world and hard work is totally redefined.
    Enjoy Brazil,
    Elsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsa- how wonderful!!! Your family history sounds like a novel I would like to read (or maybe a novel that you should write?!)... I can't say I'm surprised, though, that you are from a long line of hard working, awesome ladies... you are certainly no exception! Thank you so much for sharing your family story! Do you have any photos of the farm? I'd love to see pictures of your grandmother!

      I'm glad you found the blog- I hope you like it :)
      xoxo
      Taiko

      Delete